Johanna Beddingfield was a recipient of the bursary in 2016 for her business Art at Jezzine. 12 months on, we asked Johanna to fill us in on the business’ progress.
Art at Jezzine is a Children’s Fine Art School that teaches children aged 4 and older the elements and principles of design through drawing and painting. 12 months on, we asked Johanna to update us on her business’ progress.
1. What is your biggest achievement in business to date?
Establishing a website and opening (and filling) a class for younger children (aged 4 – 7 years)
2. Tell us something about yourself that many people don’t know?
I have a life mentor who I talk to regularly; especially before I make any big decisions.
3. What advice would you give to up and coming young business people?
Give anything a go, and don’t leave any stone unturned. There are many people in the Townsville community who want to see you thrive. You don’t know these people yet, but you will be amazing by their generosity. Don’t hold yourself back from reaching your potential.
4. How did the bursary assist your business?
The bursary allowed me to indulge in my business in a way I couldn’t have before. I was able to provide more materials for my current children to increase their learning experience. I was also able to introduce younger Townsville children to fine art.
5. Phillip Leong assisted many young people in business, arts and sport. What contributions do you (and your business) make/plan to make to our community?
My business, Art at Jezzine, gives back to the Townsville community in the way it knows best – with art. The children who attend my classes learn the importance of engaging and giving back to the community to which they belong. For that reason, the children annually exhibit their artwork in a public setting. For the last two years it has been at the Groovin’ the Moo Music Festical. Prior to that Art at Jezzine donated a mural to the Townsville Hospital.
6. Do you have any reflections about the bursary process that could help current applicants?
Don’t doubt yourself or your business idea. If you’re thinking about putting in a submission and need some help rendering it just ask for it. If you don’t know who to ask then start there!
7. What future aspirations do you have for your professional career and/or your business?
I want to always be learning and doing new things.
8. Which local schools or education establishments have you attended?
(Are you asking about my schooling? If so it is as follows)
> Wulguru State Primary School
> Pimlico State High School – High School Diploma & Cert II in Business
> TAFE – Cert II in Hospitality & Cert II in Contemporary Arts & Craft
> Nationwide Training Solutions Limited – Cert II & III in Retail
> James Cook University – Bachelor of Business Majoring in Marketing & Communication Design